Monday, September 6, 2010

Forgiveness...

Happy Labor Day Everyone!!

I hope you take time to read this before heading out to the beach, heading to the stores for school shopping, or getting that BBQ ready for the picnic!  It is muy importante!  (Very Important!)

Today you will find: 
    • What the Bible Says About Forgiveness
    • Matthew 6:14-16, Mark 11:25, Colossians 3:13, Phillipians 1:6 
"For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins."  Matthew 6:14-16

Foregiveness.  A BIG topic for me.  I think it is something that is taught when we are young, but I don't think I REALLY learned about it until about 3 weeks ago.  I always thought that I was someone who easily forgave...but, alas, I don't completely seem to let go of it? Anyone relate?

Fortunately, I have some women who I pray with who are remarkable.  They started quoting Scriptures, and telling me the deeper meaning, when I didn't know. We went back and forth and back and forth--discussing all the way.  I am very grateful to Nikki, Joan and Michele.  Thank you, Ladies!


I was taught to say I was sorry when I was a youngster.  But, that included several apologies that were empty, " I'm sorry. (Ok--so now leave me alone! It wasn't my fault,it was yours!")      

I never really learned the part of letting go of the situation immediately afterwards. Please remember, I didn't grow up in a Christian home. Yes, we were taught manners. However, I thought that Yom Kippur (The Day of Atonement) was the time to ask forgiveness, not give it!  I didn't even know that we could talk with God about it.  Except on Yom Kippur.  The day that we confess ALL of our sins for the year.  (Talk about stress!) And, that holiday is only once a year! I'm not saying that this is the Jewish belief. It was what I took from what I was taught, however wrong.

So, as Christians, why do we need to forgive?  Well, Matthew 6:14-16 gives me reason.  If I don't forgive someone, I am the one who will pay the price.  He won't forgive me!  So, we do it out of obedience to the Lord.  Now, just saying the words could be easy...but we must mean it in our hearts!  And, that can be the difficult part.  We need to forgive out of Faith. It isn't human nature to forgive.  If we do the best we can, through Faith, then God will do the work in us...so that the Forgiveness will be completed.

"And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns." Phillipians 1:6


I didn't learn all of this on my own.  I studied some notes from a friend.  They came from "What Does the Bible Say?"  Forgiveness, wasn't too much for me to grasp...it was the letting go of the anger...the wanting to mention it again and again that really trapped me in confusion.

"Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you."  Colossians 3:13

It seems that prayer will break down the wall of unforgiveness in my heart.  Most times, I believe, it will be continuous prayer with Thanksgiving in my heart that will really help.  God will give you the eyes to see the person, as He sees him/her.  (I'll use the word "her" from here out.)  That person is important and precious to the Lord.  And, (Get Ready for This...) I will then see myself differently.  I have sinned.  I am in need of forgiveness.  If He will forgive me...why should I withhold it from her?  I told you to get ready for that WHOPPER of a thought!

How do we know when we have really forgiven the person? We will know a new freedom ourselves. We won't feel bitter or angry towards the person, or think of ways to "get back" at them.  I physically felt lighter.

So, why do we forgive? Because He commands us to in Scripture! We do it out of obedience to Him who gave everything for us!

We also forgive so that our prayers will not be hindered. Mark 11 states:25 says, "And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins."

One thing my Pastor always reminds us of when it is time to take Communion is that if we have anything between ourselves and another...go take care of it first. Then come back after you have handled it, and asked the Lord for forgiveness for yourself.

I now know how to do that. And, I know that it is the right thing to do! I know that hanging on to anger isn't healthy or good for me to do. It certainly isn't how He wants me to behave.  And, I can't really be forgiven until I have completely forgiven the person...and that includes letting go of sour grapes.

From now on, I will be working on it from the moment that I sin, or find out that I have hurt someone. I will be down on the ground, asking for the Lord to let me see her as He sees her, and to please take away my anger or resentment for her. And thanks to Our Lord, Jesus the Christ, we will be able to forgive and be forgiven!

Isn't knowing the Lord so amazing? Do you know the Lord, Jesus as your personal Lord and Savior? Do you have a close relationship to Him? If you don't yet, and you are ready to talk about it or better yet, take that step--please email me. Please put the word "BLOG" or "HE IS Able" on the subject line.

Dear Lord, Jesus, I thank you for your unlimited forgiveness. I thank you for showing me how to truly forgive, and let go of the anger and resentment that sometimes tie me down. Lord, I pray that if any of us have anyone that we have not forgiven that you will please help us to have the courage to face up to it, and handle it with the person...and then to be able to come before you to be forgiven.

Lord, I pray if anyone here does not know you, I pray they will contact a local church, a Christian friend, or email me, so that when they accept your free gift of Salvation, and so much more...they too, will know what it feels like to truly be forgiven. Lord, I pray this in your Holy name, Jesus the Christ. Amen.

Have a Super Labor Day! I hope this was helpful. I would appreciate knowing if you find this type of sharing worth your while? Is it something that would keep you coming back? Or would your favorite topic be reading Testimonies? Or hearing about favorite Scriptures and why they are so? Please leave a comment or email, and let me know what you would like to see here. I will do my best to do that. If it is something else, put that down. I don't want to write, what you don't want to hear? Right? Right!  Thanks for being here.  You are appreciated!

Remember,
He IS Able,
Traci S.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful words to share about forgiveness, Traci. It is such an important aspect of our walk with Christ and there is so much in the Bible about it. Another aspect of it, I believe, is what unforgiveness creates and that is bitterness. It gets deep down as a root and defiles all around it. That is why the necessity for us to forgive immediately before bitterness takes root (I think it's more for us than the other person!) Bitterness is like poison WE drink and expect the other person to be effected by it!
    Here is a verse that I believe can be helpful

    Pursue peace with all people, and holiness, without which no one will see the Lord: looking carefully lest anyone fall short of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up cause trouble, and by this many become defiled; Hebrews 12:14-15

    Thanks again for encouraging us to meditate on God's Word! They are truth and life! Have a great Labor Day!! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great inspiration this morning. Thank you for your encouraging words.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving your thoughts, ideas,prayer requests and comments! We love to read them all! And, if you had a prayer request, the Prayer Team will begin praying for your needs today. God Bless!