Friday, December 17, 2010

Immanuel! Shout it from your windows!

Hi Everyone~

I gave you all a taste about today's post on Wednesday.  There is so much exciting information I want to share about the name "Immanuel."  I have always felt that Mary and Joseph were given two different names for their special child. Yet, I know that the Bible does not contradict itself.  EVER.  I have wondered about these two Scriptures for years:

"She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because He will save His people from their sins.” Matthew 1-21

"All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had said through the prophet; The virgin will be will child and will give birth to a son, and they will call Him Immanuel--which means, 'God with us.'" Matthew 1:22-23

Now, doesn't that seem like 2 different directions?  It isn't.  I called my church, Northland Church, (located on the right side bar--where you can listen to their awesome sermons if you like), and spoke with Pastor Scott.  I asked him about this, and he gave wonderful insight to this quandary for me!

Quite a while ago we talked about Jesus' name with regard to "Christ" not being his last name.  Remember, "Christ" actually means "Messiah" or "Anointed One."  If you kept that in mind, you may have figured out part of what the Pastor told me!  Jesus is a regular name like Bob or Joe.  In fact, it is still used as people's first names all over the world today. 

He then went on to tell me that names like "Immanuel" which means "God with us."  (Matthew Chapter 1)  Is referring to one of Jesus' attributes, or it describes His character.  The same thing goes with "Wonderful Counselor,"  "Mighty God," "Everlasting Father" and "Prince of Peace."

For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given, and the government will be on His shoulders.  And He will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace."  Isaiah 9:6

Does that answer that question?  I hope so!  If not, let me know, and I will look into it further...happily!

Now, let's look at the name of Immanuel.  I used Ann Spangler's book called, Praying the Names of Jesus in addition to my Life Application Bible.  "God with us", Immanuel, "is one of the most comforting names or titles of Jesus," says Ms. Spangler.   Literally, it translates to "with us is God."  But, Matthew said in Chapter One, "God with us."
Now, "God with us" does not mean that our lives are going to be a piece of cake.  It doesn't mean that God will agree with us on every prayer request.  We can still have failure in any area of our lives.  However, it does mean that we will never be alone to face the day!  It does mean that Jesus the Christ will not withhold the help we need to do His will.  THAT is wonderful. Please take a look at that again.  If we are indeed doing His will, he will not withhold the help we need to do it!  What a wonderful name that is!  Immanuel!  Please remember this not only at Christmas, when we celebrate the birth of Jesus, but keep it in mind when you are faced with temptation.  He IS with you!  Think about it when you are feeling so lonely in this world.  The Prince of Peace IS with you-indeed! 

I have not received an email from anyone wanting to share a Christmas memory, or hope, or why they love Immanuel!  Sharing here is a great way to serve the Lord.  I would think there are some Christians that visit here looking for hope.  I would think there are some Christians here that are Christians in name only...because they were told they were Christians when they were children.  I honestly believe that reading your stories can offer these people what they need to make a decision to live for Jesus.  I hope to hear from YOU before Sunday afternoon.  Just share from the heart. You could share about when you first came to know the Lord.   Remember, if you are doing something in His will, He will not withhold the help you need to do it.

Immanuel!  I feel like shouting this name or title out of the windows!  I hope that your Holy Spirit is shouting it inside of you.  Reminding you  about the reason for this season. 

I thank each of you for being here today.  I pray that you all have a safe and blessed weekend.  There will be posts next week.  I hope to hear from you.

Just wondering...how many years have you been Saved?  Leave it in the comment section, if you would.  I am curious how many Christian Christmases we have actually had.  Also, let me know if you may be interested in helping out with the blog now and then.  Thank you all so very much!

Remember~
He IS Able!
Traci Starkweather

p.s.  Special "Card of the Week" drawing on Wednesday.  So leave a comment about anything to be eligible.  And, I have kept my promise, all cards, and CD's that were to be sent out went out today.  You should have them soon.  I do apologize for falling so far behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving your thoughts, ideas,prayer requests and comments! We love to read them all! And, if you had a prayer request, the Prayer Team will begin praying for your needs today. God Bless!