Friday, May 6, 2011

Thank you to all the Moms out there!

Hi Friends~

Happy Friday!  I hope that everyone has a fabulous weekend.  And that all of the moms have a wonderful Mother's Day!  I looked up "mothers" in the index of one of my Bibles (NIV).  I found Proverbs 23 to be just full of things that we want to teach our children.  It covers such a variety of topics.  Take a look at it, if you would like.  I would post it here, but it is a little more than a page long.  Well worth the read!  Especially for when you have older children.

"And these words which I command you today shall be in your heart:  you shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down and when you rise up."  Deuteronomy 6:6-7

I have kept this Ann Landers column on the side of my refrigerator since May 13, 2001.  The paper is gold colored, and wrinkled...and full of wisdom.  I have read this when I have felt that I haven't done enough as a Mom, and I have read this when I felt like I may have been the best Mom around.  It is surely worth the space on the side of my refrigerator!  How about yours? 
___________________________________________

Here it is, exactly as it appears:

"Dear Ann Landers:  A child sent this to me for Mother's Day.  I hope you will share this with the women who try to be good mothers, often with no help from the significant other.--Proud in Houston

Dear Houston:  Parenthood is the hardest work there is, but the rewards are enormous.  This was written by Cindy Lange-Kubick and reprinted with permission of the Lincoln (Neb.) Journal Star.  Here is is--on Mother's Day.

This is for all the mothers who didn't win Mother of the Year.  The mothers too tired to enter, too busy to bother.

This is for all the mothers who froze on metal bleachers at soccer games instead of watching from cars, so that when their kids asked, "Did you see my goal?" they could say, "Of course", and mean it.

This is for all of the mothers who run carpools and make cookies and sew Halloween costumes.  And all the mothers who don't.

This is for all the mothers who mess up.  Who yell at their kids int he grocery store.  This is for all the mothers who taught their daughters to tie their shoes before they started pre-school.  And for all the mothers who chose Velcro instead.

This is for all the mothers who show up at work with stains on their blouses and diapers in their purse.  This is for all the mothers who teach their sons to cook and their daughters to sink a jump shot.  For all the mothers who bite their lips when their 14-year-olds dye their hair green.

This is for all the mothers who gave birth to babies they'll never see.  And the mothers who took those babies and gave them homes.

What makes a good mother anyway?  Is it patience?  Compassion?  The ability to fry a chicken and sew a button at the same time?  Or is it the ache you feel when you watch your child walking to school alone for the first time?  The need to hug your child every time you hear news of a school shooting, a fire, a car accident?

This is for young mothers stumbling through diaper changes, and sleep deprivation.  And mature mothers learning to let go.  For working mothers and stay-at-home mothers.  Single mothers and married mothers.  Mothers with money, mothers without.  This is for you all.  So hang in there.  I'll be rooting for you."
___________________________________________
If you wrote the above...what would your contributing paragraph be..."This is to all of the mothers who...." or "This is to all of the mothers who didn't..."  Please share your answer in the comment section...or send in an email...if you email it to me, I will post it on Monday!  Thank you so much! We love to know your thoughts!
______________________________________________
What plans do you have for Mother's Day?  Usually, well, since Joshua was about 7, Dave and Josh make me blueberry pancakes with whipped cream and scrambled eggs for breakfast.  "No mix will do!" says my husband...and out come the bowls, and measuring spoons and such. Such a labor of love!  And, delicious pancakes!   And, then later in the day we usually get together with my siblings (minus my brother and his family....they live in SC) and my Mom and Dad...and we all celebrate!  One of my sisters is going to be a Foster Mom to two children, hopefully starting next month.  We are all so excited! This is her first Mother's Day. 

 I am excited that we are having another family event.  We have had more than ever since Josh enlisted.  I am trying to share his time with everyone.  I am blessed to be his mom.  He is a great son.  He always has been...never any trouble. I was surely blessed with this gift from Him. I thank Him all of the time. But, part of me is sad for this Mother's Day. I know I have had it well...I have seen him almost every day of his life...he moved out at 18 1/2.  I went through some serious "empty nest" feelings...and then turned his room into my art room!  lol And, made peace with his moving out. He is close by. Now, that he is going to start his military life, I feel as if I am going through the "Empty Nest II!"  I hope that I can remember this special day with a thankful heart...and no tears.

Do you have any plans or traditions that you are willing to share?  Or perhaps a favorite Scripture or Poem about Motherhood you would like to share?  Thank you for sharing it in the comment section...or if you email it to me (side bar), it will be shared on the next post!  Thank you so much!

As a mother comforts her child,
so will I comfort you;
and you will be comforted over Jerusalem.”
Isaiah 66:13 (NIV)



I will pray that you all will have a delightful weekend whether you are a mom or not. Sorry, there are no cards to show.  Dave did say he would work with my computer and camera and see if they would communicate together again...or if this is a permanent situation.  He is very good at getting sides to see the "big picture" so maybe there will be cards to share on Monday!  I hope so!  God bless!

He IS Able!
Traci S.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving your thoughts, ideas,prayer requests and comments! We love to read them all! And, if you had a prayer request, the Prayer Team will begin praying for your needs today. God Bless!